GOVERNOR CHARLES B. AYCOCK BIRTHPLACE HISTORIC SITE
THE GOLDSBOROUGH BRIDGE BATTLEGROUND
Living history demonstrations thrive on audience participation at the boyhood
home of North Carolina’s “Educational Governor.” The site includes a visitors’
center, a mid-nineteenth century homestead, and an 1893 one-room schoolhouse.
- Guided tours & Living history demonstrations
- Picnic area & Restrooms
- Pets allowed outside only with leash; Assistive pets permitted in building
- Gift shop/souvenirs available
- Motorcoach parking
264 Governor Aycock Rd., Fremont, NC 27830
The battlefield is the site of the battle of Goldsborough Bridge, where on
December 17, 1862, some 2,000 Confederate forces attempted to stop Union Gen.
John Foster’s 12,000 troops from destroying a vital railroad bridge. The bridge,
located south of the city over the Neuse River, was a key position for both
Union and Confederate forces.
An informational kiosk provides visitors with a battlefield map and further
information. Walking trails surround the cultivated field which Confederate
troops crossed during their bloody
counterattack against the Union rear guard. These trails take visitors to
three additional historical markers where specific events of the battle are
detailed. Two sets of well-preserved earthworks may be viewed, as well as the
site of the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad Bridge, the objective of the Union
Located close to the intersection of Old Mt. Olive Hwy and US Hwy 117,
Goldsboro, NC 27530 | (866) 440-2245
CHERRY HOSPITAL MUSEUM
MOUNT OLIVE HISTORIC DISTRICT
Originally opened in 1880 by the state for African Americans with mental
illnesses, Cherry Hospital was renamed in 1959 for Governor R. Gregg Cherry.
Patients worked its 3,500 acres of farmland until the 1970’s. The museum depicts
over a century of history with photographs, log books, and a variety of the
hospital’s authentic medical and farming equipment. 201 Stevens Mill Rd.,
Goldsboro, NC 27530 | (919) 731-3483
Mount Olive was formed as a village before the Civil War and was occupied by
Union soldiers in Foster’s Raid on December 16, 1862. Incorporated in 1870, the
town is home to the world famous Mount Olive Pickle Company and the North
Carolina Pickle Festival. Mount Olive has been listed on the National Register
of Historic Places since 1999.
SEVEN SPRINGS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The “Church on the Hill,” was built in 1874 and overlooks the village of Seven
Springs. The hill saw Civil War occupation by Union soldiers during the Battle
of Whitehall, in which Union and Confederate soldiers fought from opposite sides
of the Neuse River.
Highway 55, Seven Springs, NC 28578